In today’s world where there is competition all around, one should enhance their skills and should know what are their strength and weakness. One can enhance their skills through aptitude exams. Basically, it is a way for employers to assess a candidate’s abilities through a variety of different testing formats.
An aptitude exam is an exam used to determine an individual’s skill to succeed in a given activity. With the help of Aptitude exams one can come to know about their strength and weakness in an area in which they have no prior knowledge.
KINDS OF APTITUDE EXAMS
- Numerical reasoning:A numerical reasoning test is a standardized psychometric assessment test that provides the employing organization with information about a candidate’s general numeracy skills. These tests are used to check if a person is capable of working with numerical information in everyday business activities.
- Verbal reasoning:The verbal reasoning test is a type of test where you are provided with a passage of text followed by one or more statements. It may be employed to gauge your understanding of written texts and how you draw factual conclusions from the written material.
- Situational judgment:The Situational Judgment Test is a type of aptitude test that usually aims to gauge your understanding in a given work-place scenario. It critically assesses your judgment in making the most appropriate approach to solving problems. The scenarios are realistic and hypothetical, and you must identify the most appropriate response.
- Logical reasoning:Logical reasoning tests are standardized psychometric assessment tests and are a fundamental part of almost any assessment. The test provides the employing organization with information about a candidate’s general problem-solving ability.
- Inductive reasoning: Inductive reasoning tests are one of the most commonly used aptitude tests that come up during a job applications. These tests are also known as cause and effect reasoning.
MAIN SKILLS REQUIRED
- Practice the test daily
Practice makes perfect. If you practice assessments regularly you get familiar with the probable question types and the different subjects. You will recognize your strengths and have a chance to improve your weaknesses. You will also get faster at answering the tests. Through practice, candidates will improve their chance of a high score and will be more confident during the assessment. To clear tests like CLAT the most important skill required is practice. Without practice one cannot improve their skills and mainly in those exams where logical reasoning carries much weightage.
- Make sure you know the test format
The format of the recruitment test should be known so you have a better understanding of how to prepare for the test and what to expect. What sections the tests will be divided into, the number of questions and the time during for the test are important factors to know. Exclude any misinformation.
- Read the instructions carefully
This seems a no-brainer but make sure you read the given instructions in the test very carefully. Make sure you know how much time you have and, if there is something unclear, ask the processor. Reading the test carefully will help to manage your time far more efficiently.
- Be sure that you practice tests according to your field
There are a lot of different aptitude tests used in recruitment and assessment centres may use different methods. Make sure you know what kind of aptitude test will be used or ask for sample questions.
- Manage your time well
Aptitude tests are often stressful, and you feel in a hurry to complete all questions. This is where proper time managing comes in to play. Learn to pace yourself by practicing the test beforehand.
On the day of the assessment, start with the easiest questions first as this will give you more time for the harder questions. Prioritize the sections of the assessment worth the most points, and make sure that you wear a watch so you can keep an eye on the time.
VARIOUS APTITUDE EXAMS IN OUR COUNTRY:
CLAT(COMMON LAW ADMISSION TEST)
CLAT is basically an exam to enter into NLU’S (National Law Universities).
This exam is conducted annually and to qualify it the main requirement is the skill required for clearing an aptitude test. The exam is directly based on the skills of the students. The exam is divided into various parts such as: Logical Reasoning and Legal Reasoning . To solve such parts only skills of students help. Without practice it is very difficult to clear this exam. With practice only one can understand the logical reasoning questions.
In the case of Legal reasoning questions one should firstly read all the instructions regarding what the examiner is trying to ask. Most of the students don’t read the instructions properly which results in a wrong answer.
Each and every Olympiad exam has a different objective. These are designed to test students’ skills on various topics and sub-topics. The main objective of Olympiad is to nurture upcoming scientists, mathematicians, artists, IT experts, language experts and many more such abilities in the young minds.
The Olympiad test is most beneficial to the students who are studying . The tests comes with prizes also which encourages students to participate in it and with the help of Olympiad the students are able to develop more skills .
Olympiad tests are divided into general aptitude tests and special aptitude tests. Examples General aptitude tests are— Differential Aptitude Test (DAT), General Aptitude Test Battery (GATB)etc.
Olympiad exams are extremely useful for all classes from class 1 to class 10. These exams give students are meant to bring students from different schools and different boards on the same platform. It promotes learning in the same subjects that are taught in class. It helps to identify their strengths and weaknesses. These exams assess students subject knowledge. It also motivates them to improve their academic scores. Indian Talent Olympiad conducts online as well as offline exams. It conducts the monthly Olympiads using the online mode. These online tests build up logical reasoning and critical thinking abilities among all participants.
Olympiad exams strengthen students subject knowledge. These are the best exams where students can apply their knowledge to answer questions. Olympiads help students to master fundamentals. The other benefits are as follows:
- It is a competition to test individual knowledge.
- It helps them to improve their analytical skills.
- It gives them a better idea about their potential.
- Students can identify and work on their weaknesses.
- It challenges their intellect and promotes deeper understanding of scientific facts.
- Students are able to understand concepts in a better way that are taught in class.
CUCET is now mandatory for admissions in all the Central Universities of the country. 2010 was the first year when this exam was conducted for the first time and now for the time in the year 2022, this exam will be conducted by NTA for admissions in Delhi University.
Advantages of Aptitude Tests
Aptitude tests are standardized and are great for the reliability and validity of results. Hence, it is difficult to challenge the results of an aptitude test, making it practical to use during the recruitment process.
it is easy to administer aptitude tests, as they are outsourced and carried out on laptops and computers. It also accelerates the grading process and expedites the recruitment process for a company.
- Analysis of the individual
An aptitude test will determine an individual’s weaknesses, which will help a company and a school to determine the training programs needed to implement for individuals to improve those specific skills.
Disadvantages of Aptitude Tests
- Test anxiety
Many candidates experience anxiety before tests, which can cause stress and turn into psychosomatic illnesses. The symptoms of the illness include increased blood pressure, dizziness, and shortness of breath. The physical and mental symptoms of stress can hinder an individual’s ability to perform on an aptitude test.
- Incomplete assessment
An aptitude test does not paint the full picture: just because a candidate does well on the aptitude test does not mean they will perform well in the real world when a particular situation arises.
- No consideration of soft skills
Aptitude tests are designed in a certain manner that prevents a candidate from demonstrating their soft skills, and soft skills are an equally important part of a successful candidate.
One should have faith in themselves. There is no secret to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work and learning from failure.